First, a big thank you to the Gem State Writers for allowing me to drop by and visit today! I enjoy reading this blog, so it’s an honor to be here. My critique partner lives in Alabama, while I live in Idaho, and we both write stories about vampires, shifters, and witches. We were talking the other day about paranormal romances and our different perspectives. As a list maker, I thought I’d create a quick list as to why Idaho authors have a better understanding of the paranormal world:
- We actually see wolves. Sure, there are tons of wolf shifter books out there…but if you live in the Pacific NW, you probably know what a wolf actually looks, sounds, and even smells like. They’re in our backyard, right? (Speaking of which, I’ll try to drop by and say hi on this blog today, but I’m up camping and probably hiding from wolves.)
- We could live off the land if necessary. My hubby is an architect, yet he’s an Idaho boy, too. So if the big disaster someday hits and vampires take over the cities…we’re solid. We can hunt and survive as long as necessary.
- Sun? Who needs the sun? Remember that disaster? Sometimes we don’t see the sun for months and months…and we’re fine. Cranky…but fine. So we understand the vampire mentality. LOL
- We understand loyalty and helping a neighbor. In my state, we help each other. There’s no turning away and thinking that somebody else will come along and help someone in need. We do it. Many paranormal creatures share this ability to help and make things better for others. (Of course, many creatures can be bad guys…or there wouldn’t be a story.)
- We accept our odd relatives. In Idaho, we don’t ship crazy Aunt Edna off somewhere…we bring her out for fun on Thanksgiving. So we understand that crazy is part of life…same as vampires and their bloodlust. Or shifters and their odd changes. Or witches and their ability to use quantum physics to manipulate matter.
So, if the paranormal world really existed…it’d be right here. I think that’s why so many Idaho writers at least dabble in the paranormal genre. We fit right in. J
When I guest blog, I usually have the chance to give away a signed book. I’d love to give away a signed copy of either Fated, Claimed, or Hunted from the Dark Protector series to a randomly chosen commenter here on the blog. We’ll draw a name in a couple of days. Just say hi or let me know what you think about the paranormal world and Idaho. Thanks and good luck!
BIO: Rebecca Zanetti is a college professor by day and romance author by night. Currently she’s busy writing the sexy Dark Protector Series from Kensington Brava, which has received excellent reviews. Publisher’s Weekly declared the series has “sizzling sex scenes and a memorable cast.” To find Rebecca on the web, drop by her website: http://rebeccazanetti.com/